Thursday, November 19, 2009

Romans 13 thoughts this morning.....

if we (Americans) really comprehend what it means to not resist the authority that God put in place.


ESV:
Rom 13:1 Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God.

Rom 13:2 Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment.


Does not resisting simply mean not breaking the law or does it include our speech and thoughts? Are we allowed to verbally resist simply because our American citizenship allows us freedom of speech and the opportunity to vote?

I know it's real easy to grumble and complain about the leadership of our country, state, and cities. I do it more than I feel I should. My earthly citizenship will fall away one day. Should I really invest so much energy into it? I know that some would say the key is balance, but how can we balance our duties and not forget where our true citizenship lies? From Scripture, we see that Paul didn't utilize his Roman citizenship unless it advanced the Gospel. Can we really say that involvement in American politics are advancing the Gospel?

Just thinking out loud.......

No comments:

Bare pantry

My son cleaned out our pantry (dry goods) about 10 days or so ago. My son, who is 24, works in Retail/Grocery so he's the king of expira...