Friday, March 27, 2009

Flood Cam 2009

I don’t live in this city, but I do live near it.  I am not closely affected by the flood other than road closures and having friends in the city.  I was just downtown near this very flood wall that you see protecting the city.  I had a dentist appointment.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/pages/floodcam

In 1997, this city was severely flooded when the Red River of the North (which flows north, btw) rose to 54’.  The new dike system holds to 60’.  The current expected crest is around 52-3’, but rivers can be very unpredictable, especially with the ice jams and new snow/rain.  No idea yet, what the second crest will come in at in April.  Fargo, ND is suffering much worse as their dike system is not as good/high as Grand Forks.  One of the joys of losing half your city to a flood is you get a brand new dike system.  I guess Fargo is next in line.

Bismark is also suffering huge flooding thanks to the Missouri River and ice jams both north and south of Bismark.

Manitoba, Canada is bracing for 3 weeks of flood “agony.”

Man, I love spring…………NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


ETA:
In Firefox, I can acess the above link with no problem.  Flock is being goofy.  If for some reason, you can't get the video to run to go
http://www.grandforksherald.com/ and scroll down a little bit to find 2009 Flood Cam (left side, big blue letters)

No comments:

Bare pantry

My son cleaned out our pantry (dry goods) about 10 days or so ago. My son, who is 24, works in Retail/Grocery so he's the king of expira...