Thursday, September 18, 2008

When I was a kid, mom used to sing to me.

Mom didn't sing the tradition kiddie songs much. She preferred to sing the songs she loved. That was Country & Western songs, which as most can guess is not your typical children's fare. I loved to hear mom sing. We used to have some great car rides and we never needed a radio.

Some of my favorites were:

Johnny Cash "Long Black Veil"




Johnny Cash "5 Feet High and Rising"



Johnny Cash "I Got Stripes"




Johnny Cash "Frankie & Johnny"



Notice a theme? Is it any wonder Johnny Cash is one of my favorite singers/songwriters.

8 comments:

wjcsydney said...

I only discovered Johnny Cash a couple of years ago. But he is amongst my favs. I like his later stuff best. "Redemption" and "Would you lie with me?" for example.

I love watching Johnny and June on youtube.

Minkydo said...

Hi Wendy,

I enjoy his newer stuff as well. I guess growing up on the old stuff, it's my favorite.

Thank you for visiting :)

ChrisC and JonJ said...

I love to hear his version of Ring of Fire.

marky said...

What a sweet memory of your mom singing! Everytime you play a JC song, you must have sweet memories of your mom!

Quilldancer said...

I grew up listening to Johnny. I'm told my mom sang well and she loved to sing C&W songs, but I am too little to remember. My Gram raised me, and she sang all the old hymns. She and my brother often sang, "The Old Rugged Cross." Whenever I heard the song now I remember and get all misty-eyed.

Tink *~*~* said...

Frankie & Johnny is such a fun song!

:D

Tink *~*~*
My Mobile Adventures *~*~*

Michelle's Rambling Woods said...

Your Mom was creative. I used to sing the simple little songs to my daughter until she got old enough to realize that I can't sing.LOL

Minkydo said...

Glad y'all liked the walk down memory lane.